Alcoholera Catalana S.A. is a Spanish enterprise situated in Sta. Margarida i els Monjos since 1964. Its main activity is the production of rectified alcohol and derivatives aimed to obtain the distillation of the ethyl alcohol coming from the fermentation and get rectified alcohol at more than 96%. The heating system is made of indirect vapour with condensate vapours recovery and the process is based on a continuous system of columns of rectification and atmospheric pressure trays. The raw materials used in the described system come from other enterprises as liquids characterised by different alcoholic levels as well as from intermediary products of impure alcohols that go back into the process.
The raw materials derivate from the waste of other companies are:
- The ethyl alcohol at high proof to rectify: it is a waste generated in the organic synthesis process in which are utilised reagents to pharmaceutics activities. The raw ethanol characterises mean of reaction, crystallisation or purification.
- The industrial impure alcohols: it is used in the production process as a mean of reaction, crystallisation or purification and it is differentiated after the precipitation. These alcohols come from chemical industries as waste and they contain water impurities and other solvents.
- The low proof hydro alcoholic mixtures: they are generated as waste by the production system and the treatment of alcoholic beverages (rejections of the bottling plant, residues of alcohols, extracts mixed with the residues etc.) that are managed for the company.
According to the Catalan regulation, the benefits coming from the derivate management are the following:
- Substitution of the imported raw materials.
- Environmental impact reduction.
- Minimisation in waste management.
- Valorisation of waste as raw material.